Posts Tagged ‘AV stuff’
Because I am slowly ripping the house apart, it makes sense to add some CAT5e at the same time. Structured cables require a central location where you can patch them together, and at home I don’t want to dedicate a load of space to a server room. I spent some quality time with the hall cupboard and some MDF.
I mounted the patch panel vertically so all the back-end CAT5 will be hidden. Power is fed to everything from behind the panel (held in with magnetic clips) to keep things tidy.
I live in a semi-detached house and therefore have to be considerate to our neighbours when it comes down to making noise, so adding more sound-proofing to to the dividing wall ahead of a AV install is a bit of a no brainer.
After doing a bit of google searching I found a wall-mounted product that should decrease noise by about 50%. Padding out the dividing wall with another layer of plaster board with about 50mm of acoustic wool attached however creates some challenges when it comes down to mounting a TV to the wall (what the hell do you screw the brackets into?).
So before adding the sound proofing to the wall, I added a couple of batons in the correct place for the LCD wall-mount and (hopefully) the center speaker. These should provide a good backing to screw a mount into.
I also ran some trunking over the wall to manage the hidden cables.
Batons and trunkning attached to wall before adding insulation
I have run power, a couple of HDMI, a SCART, and a VGA cable through the conduits (note that power takes it’s own path to minimise interference with AV signals. The challenge after adding these cable runs and batons is to make sure the sound insulation will be able to snugly attach to the *plaster* of the original wall. The only way to make this happen is to spend a long time with a craft knife and a ruler.
Believe it or not, cutting the above piece to size, channelling out cable runs to the minimum required depth, and attaching it to the wall took a couple of hours. And yes, I know that cutting into the insulation will decrease it’s effectiveness but It’s better than nothing and allows me to hide a lot of cable.
The first stages of my home AV install are under way, it’s a medium term project and for fun I thought I would document it here.
We moved into a new house close to a year ago and have been pretty slow in making any changes, but this has provided us with the luxury of getting used to how we live in the house before committing to anything permanent. We found that the area that we have been using as our dining room is far better suited to being a TV/lounge room because of its smaller size and shape than the current lounge room.
When we first moved into the house we nick-named the soon-to-be-ex dining room “the stage” because it was raised above the normal level of the rest of the house with weird stage style lights. Our original intention was to lower all the floors back down to their original level, but after raising the boards it is clear that it will take far more effort (and $) to make it worthwhile.
Last weekend I got stuck into some hard work (with the kind help of my father who supplied most of the know-how and experience)
- Knocked down the two ledges on the dividing partition
- Ripped up the laminate floor
- Laid speaker wire under the floor boards
- Cut out back boxes ready for some AV speaker front-plates (flush with the wall)
- Found that the electrical wiring in the room is far-from acceptable, so therefore ran some new cables ready for a certified electrician to hook up.
The Before shot (taken on the day we moved in, hence why everything is just dumped where it landed)
The After shot (and yes I know that is one hell of a mess!)